The State Department is investigating a cyberattack on its personnel, and the agency is taking the matter seriously, according to a department spokesperson.
According to a state department spokesperson, the department received a report of a cyber attack on March 10, the day of the state’s presidential primary.
The state department says it launched an investigation and that it has opened an internal investigation into the matter.
State Department spokesperson Stephanie Cawley did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Justice are also investigating the attack.
The hack, which originated in China, reportedly affected more than 2,000 personnel in the state department and other agencies and resulted in an additional $60 million in damages, according a report by the New York Times.
The cyberattack also exposed the identities of more than 800 of the department’s employees, including its senior leadership, and led to a suspension of some of the agency’s internal travel plans.
“This is a terrible cyberattack,” State Department spokesperson Emily Flax told reporters during a press briefing on Monday.
“This is something we take very seriously.
And we have an internal team that is working to understand exactly what happened and what we can do about it.
And, obviously, we’re working to identify who’s responsible, and we’re also working to ensure that this does not happen again.”
The state department’s investigation into cyberattacks was announced by New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and other state leaders, who were among a small group of lawmakers who had called for a cyber probe into the state agency.
Cuomo said he was “appalled” by the hack and urged the US State Department to open an investigation into whether it was a malicious attack.
In an interview with NBC News on Monday, Cuomo said that he would like the department to open a formal investigation into how the state had been breached.
Cuomo also said that the state has launched a $100 million fund to help with the recovery of the damage.
“This breach is unacceptable, and it needs to be addressed immediately,” Cuomo said.
“We’re going to make sure that the department is given the resources that it needs, and I’ve ordered the state of New York to make that happen.”
It’s not the first time the state Department of Defense has suffered a cyber-attack.
In December, a series of ransomware attacks crippled the Pentagon’s systems, causing an estimated $2 billion in damage and forcing the US Department of Energy to suspend all civilian IT operations.